Want to know the secret to an easy move? Move less stuff.
It’s obvious, but it’s true. You can save time, money, and the anxiety of finding the right place for extra stuff if you simply take the time before your big day to declutter. While you may have stuff that’s destined for the dump, the odds are you have a lot more stuff which could find a better home with someone else. So how do you quickly and easily declutter your home before the move?
1. Start with a garage sale. You never know who will want the odds and ends that don’t seem worth moving, or who might pay top dollar for that snow ski equipment you won’t need in Florida. The garage sale is a reliable way to offload your junk. (And if you don’t have a garage sale before you move, consider having a “moving in” garage sale when you arrive. That won’t help with the ski equipment, though.)
2. Sell your stuff online. Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, eBay, and Nextdoor are all perfectly good venues for finding buyers.
While some are more hassle than others, there’s no faster way to make sure a large number of people see what you have to sell. Just keep in mind that safety is a priority when meeting strangers to sell your stuff. Beware of scammers and never invite strangers into your home if you can help it.
3. App it up! There are multiple competing apps for selling stuff privately, including OfferUp (offerup.com), Gone (thegoneapp.com), and LetGo (letgo.com). Best of all, these work directly from your smartphone, making it easy to snap pics and post ads in a hurry.
4. Trade in, don’t truck it. Many retail chain outlets will provide you with a way to trade-in items for credit, especially if the items are consumer electronics, games, or mobile devices. Even if the trade-in amount is low, it beats sending the stuff to the landfill.
5. Donate it! Just because you don’t want to use it anymore doesn’t mean that someone out there can’t benefit from it.
Get a tax deduction and do a good deed by dropping off unwanted possessions with Goodwill Industries or the Salvation Army. It’s good for the community, the planet, and your sense of well-being.
Don’t let extra clutter drag down your move. Set aside time before the big day to send your stuff into the world (and maybe even put a few bucks back in your pocket)! It might just buy pizza on your first night in your new place.
Thinking of selling? Give me a buzz at 910-352-0998 and we can talk about the best strategy to get your home sold for the highest possible price!
Your Weekly Real Estate Report is provided by Justin Donaton of Coastwalk Real Estate. Any data provided, unless otherwise noted, is courtesy of the Wilmington Association of REALTORS MLS and/or the National Association of REALTORS.
Justin does not just "list" properties, he sells them! To get your home SOLD for the highest possible price, call Justin at 910-352-0998. Justin has been the TOP SELLING real estate agent on Pleasure Island since 2007. He has the highest dollar volume of sales, and has had the most number of closings.
His business is built on hard work and high-impact marketing. Coastwalk Real Estate is also a TOP SELLING real estate firm in Carolina & Kure Beach. Please visit: www.CoastwalkRealEstate.com for more info.
The Weekly Market Report is a Paid Advertisement Compliments of Coastwalk Real Estate.
Latest from Managing Editor
- Officials Investigating Fire At Condemned Condo Building
- Kure Beach Holds Friday Night Vote To Approve Sunday Alcohol Sales At 10AM
- Spotlight On Business: The Kupboard Grocery
- Spotlight On Coastal Cuisine: A&G BAR-B-QUE and Chicken: Serving Daily Specials
- What's Selling: Local Real Estate Figures for July 10th to July 16th, 2017