ISLAND TRUE VALUE TACKLE & HARDWARE
801 N. Lake Park Blvd. Carolina Beach, NC 28428 Phone: (910) 458-3049
Fax: (910) 458-0988
Vacation: To help avoid being burglarized take the following pre-vacation steps:
1. Call the post office to stop mail and suspend newspaper delivery.
2. Get a few timers to turn several lights, the TV or radio on and off during the day and night.
3. If you have a second car, park it in the driveway
4. If you’ll be gone long, ask a neighbor to put some of their trash in your garbage cans
5. Ask a friend or neighbor to house sit by dropping by regularly and checking up on things and picking up junk mail and flyers that can accumulate. (Remember to describe this house sitter to your neighbors, so burglars can’t claim to be house sitting and house sitters don’t get arrested.)
6. If you have a baby monitor, leave the monitor with a neighbor and the base unit turned on at your home. If the security or smoke alarms go off, or if your neighbors hear something they shouldn’t, they can immediately call 911.
Wiring: Probably the most mysterious and scariest home projects involve electrical work.
Those people not familiar with electricity might expect lightning to come shooting out of sockets and switches when you want to work on them. That won’t happen...unless, of course, you start working around the wiring when the power is still flowing. Play it safe and get an inexpensive circuit alert voltage tester that lets you know if it’s okay to go to work. Just place the tester on the wiring (or device) and if it lights up the wire is live. This lets you know if you’ve turned off the wrong circuit breaker or fuse, or if there’s a problem with the breaker. Fix it before you do anything else.
Ceramic Tile: Ever since the “Roaring Twenties” ceramic tile floors have been the cat’s pajamas. But if you’ve already got a vinyl floor that’s looking kind of worn and shoddy how are you going to say “twenty-three skidoo”? Tear it up? Throw it out? Start from scratch? You don’t have to. Here’s why -- and what to do. Even if your floor is worn, as long as it isn’t loose and coming up, you can put new ceramic tile directly on top easily. First, use a belt sander to score the vinyl surface.
Then apply two coats of bonding agent to help the adhesive hold better. Next carefully lay out chalk lines. Start laying tile from the
center working outward toward the ends. Keep it simple; use pre-mixed mortar, working on small areas at a time.
Let it dry a full day before you grout, then use diluted white vinegar on a damp cloth to remove the haze and make it shine. You won’t believe the difference. Your little bungalow soon will be looking like the Hearst castle -- and you’ll be putting on the Ritz.
And that’s the tip of the week from Island True Value Tackle and Hardware.
Latest from Managing Editor
- Carolina Beach Manager Grants Third Beach Services Permit To Tony Silvagni
- Man Arrested Following Early Morning High Speed Chase On Pleasure Island
- Hardware Tip of the Week: Concrete Chips and Tingles and Put Mold on Hold
- Auto and Home Insurance 101 for April 19th, 2017
- Carolina Beach Manager To Decide Who Gets Third Beach Services Permit