Calendar of Events for 2017
• April 23 - RESCHEDULED 23rd Annual Seafood Blues and Jazz Festival (910-458-8434)
• April 28 & 29 - Kure Beach 70th Anniversary Celebration (910-458-8216)
• May 7 – Oct 15 - Boogie in the Park Concert Series at Kure Beach Ocean Front Park 1st and 3rd Sundays (910-458-8216)
• May 12 - 19th Annual Cape Fear Disabled Sportsman Fishing Tournament (910-612-3407)
• May 20 - Carolina Beach Street Arts Festival (610-909-7643)
• May 20 - Beach Wrestling Nationals (910-395-4362)
• May 20 - 21 - 24th Annual Seaside Soccer Classic (910-392-0306)
• May 27 – Oct 7 - Carolina Beach Farmer’s Market every Saturday (910-458-2977)
• June 13 – Aug 22 - Tuesday Family Night at the Carolina Beach Boardwalk (910-458-8434)
• May 24 – Aug 30 - Wednesday Night Bingo at the Carolina Beach Boardwalk (910-458-8434)
• May 26 – Sept 1 - Weekly Fireworks on the Beach Every Thursday Night (910-458-8434)
• May 26 - Sept 1 - Weekly Boardwalk Music Every Thursday Night (910-458-8434) May 28 - Sept 3 Free Movies at the Carolina Beach Lake every Sunday (910-458-8434)
• June 3 - 32nd Annual Carolina Beach Music Festival (910-458-8434)
• June 9 – Aug 25 - FREE Summer Concerts At Fort Fisher 2nd and 4th Fridays (910-458-8434)
• June 12 – Aug 28 - Turtle Talk at Kure Beach Ocean Front Park every Monday (910-458-8216)
• June 13 – Aug 29 - Kure Beach Market every Tuesday (910-458-8216)
• June 14 – Aug 30 - Story Time by the Sea at Kure Beach Ocean Front Park every Wednesday (910-458-8216)
• June 24 - Carolina Beach Double Sprint Triathlon (910-620-6405)
• June 29 – Aug 17 - Up and Active! at Kure Beach Ocean Front Park every Thursday (910-458-8216)
• July 3 - Independence Day Fireworks (910-458-8434)
• July 7, 8, 9 - East Coast Got-Em-On King Mackerel Fishing Tournament (910-470-1374)
• Aug 19 - Kure Beach Annual Community Center BBQ Fundraiser (910-458-8216)
• Sept 9 - 5th Annual Heart of Hope Run (910-228-5282)
• Sept 9 - 10th CBPD Bike Rodeo (910-338-7811)
• Sept 15 & 16 - 5th Annual Carolina Beach Dragon Boat Regatta and Festival (910-599-2879)
• Sept 30 - 5th Annual Pleasure Island Day of Hope “Toes in the Sand” Beach Walk (910-386-2093)
• Oct 14 & 15 - 24th Annual Pleasure Island Seafood Blues and Jazz Festival (910-458-8434)
• Oct 21 - 9th Annual Salty Paws Festival (910-458-7233)
• Oct 15 - Carolina Beach Marathon and Half Marathon (919-889-3438) Oct 20, 21, 22 11th Annual Pleasure Island Fall Surf Fishing Challenge (910-452-6378)
• Oct 28 - Annual Carolina Beach Firefighters Association BBQ (910-458-8434)
• Nov 18 & 25 - Kure Beach Holiday Market (910-458-8216)
• Nov 24 - Island of Lights Light Up Celebration at the Lake (910-458-5507)
• Nov 24, 25/Dec 2, 9, 16 - 9th Annual Christmas by the Sea (Carolina Beach Boardwalk) (910-458-8434)
• Dec 1 - Island of Lights Parade (910-458-2977)
• Dec 2 - Island of Lights Flotilla (910-386-8081)
• Dec 8, 9, 10 - Kure Beach Fantasy Christmas Show (910-458-8216)
• Dec 9 - Island of Lights Tour of Homes (910-458-5507)
• Dec 31 - Island of Lights New Year’s Eve Countdown & Fireworks Held In Carolina Beach
For more information or updates visit the
PI COC website at www.PleasureIslandNC.org
Beach Music Festival June 3rd
Carolina Beach, NC – The Pleasure Island Chamber of Commerce is proud to be hosting the 32nd Annual Carolina Beach Music Festival on Saturday, June 3rd, 2017 on the beach strand at the historic Carolina Beach Boardwalk in Carolina Beach.
On Saturday, June 3rd, ‘shaggers’ of all ages can enjoy a day of live entertainment with the hottest beach music bands in the South. All three bands offer that laid-back style of rhythm and blues with deep roots in the Carolina Coast. The gates will open at 10:00 am with the first band hitting the stage at 11:00 am. This year’s line-up: 11:00 - 12:30 - Black Water Rythm & Blues Band; 1:00 – 2:30 Band of Oz; 3:00 – 4:30 Jim Quick and Coastline
This annual, fun filled event is one of the longest running Beach Music festivals in the United States. Tickets to the 32nd Annual Carolina Beach Music Festival are $25 in advance and $30 at the gate (cash only). Advance tickets will be available through EVENTBRITE on-line (credit only). Beginning May 1st, tickets will be available at the Pleasure Island Chamber, Island Tackle & Hardware, Siver Dollar and Olde Salty’s in Carolina Beach (cash/check only). This annual fun-in-the-sun extravaganza brings together a multi-generational family crowd that lets the music flow like the crashing of the waves where you can shag a little, boogie a little and smile a lot. Help make history at the 32nd Annual get together with your toes in the sand of famous Carolina Beach, where Beach Music originated and shaggin’ was born. Join our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/carolinabeachmusicfestival) to keep up with the latest breaking news. Be sure to bring your own chairs, towels and SPF50 as well as your coolers (YES, coolers are allowed and welcome). Please no glass, no pets, and no refunds. Bring an Anhauser Busch product (no glass please) and register to win some Budweiser Swag..
The folks at the Pleasure Island Chamber of Commerce, the Cape Fear Shag Club, Budweiser and the Town of Carolina Beach welcome Beach Music lovers from all over on the first Saturday in June. Come have a great day of fun in the sun, but remember to drink responsibly and always have a designated driver. See you down front and center…
Island Women Present the Specialty Flocking Program
CAROLINA BEACH, NC The Island Women are rejuvenating their “Flock” program to generate donations for maintenance and needs of the Island’s beach wheelchairs.
The ladies have cleaned them all up and redressed some and are now spreading the word. Specialty dressed flamingos will represent Birthdays, Weddings, Showers, Welcome Guests, Graduation, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and most other holidays!
One specialty dressed flamingo along with 50 of their friends are a perfect way to celebrate any life event! The cost is $1 per bird ($50) plus a $5 processing fee and includes a personalized sign.
The results: a surprise, many smiles, and this benefits Island Women and the Pleasure Island community.
Please call Lynn at (978)979-9402 or Genie at (910)233-4333 and please leave a message, we will get back to you shortly, or you send a message in the Contact Us box. Once we have your information, Flocks will be placed at the location on the day (if available) that you specify.
There will also be a personalized sign created for your special occasion.
Good Karma Community Free Pantry
The Good Karma Community Free Pantry is located adjacent to the Help Center on the corner of 3rd and Raleigh Ave. (behind the old library) in Carolina Beach. The pantry will be stocked with non-perishable food items via donations from people in our community. The food items will be available to anyone in need. “It's pretty simple really. Take if you are in need. Give if you are able. We ask that everyone is respectful of each other. Take only what you need. Give only when you can. No Judgements will be made.”
The pantry will be open 24-7 and we will do our best to restock as needed. Any person, group, club or organization that wishes to contribute, are more than welcome to. Please contact The Good Karma Community Free Pantry through Facebook page with any questions or if you would like to help out! More info coming soon!
Performing Arts Nite Seeking Entertainers for Friday Nights
The Carolina Beach Arts and Activities Committee will be hosting Performing Arts Nite (Pan) Fridays from 7:00pm until 9:00pm at the Carolina Beach Boardwalk.
Currently they are seeking performers of any kind to come out and showcase their talent to Pleasure Island residents and visitors.
Parrot Heads Gather & Groove to Island Tunes April 15th
Kure Beach Celebrates 70 Years
KURE BEACH, NC – Mark your calendar for Friday, April 28th and Saturday, April 29th and join the fun at Kure Beach’s 70th Anniversary Celebration! No stone has been left unturned in bringing the best entertainment, food and activities to Kure Beach for a fun filled weekend to remember. The Imitations will start things off Friday at 7PM at Ocean Front Park with their beachy tunes to get everyone in the mood for fun. Whether you like to dance or just sit and relax, there’s nothing better than enjoying great music along with a fresh ocean breeze to satisfy the soul!
The celebration goes into full swing Saturday starting with Opening Ceremonies at 11AM and continuing to 5PM with live music by Prime Time Band (12-2PM) and Junk Yard Mama (3-5PM), games, kids’ activities and just plain fun! More than 50 vendors will be on hand with a wide variety of arts and crafts, home décor, gift ideas, wine, and more. Food trucks will be oceanfront to offer fantastic edibles like a New Orleans style Po’boy from T’Geaux Boys, delicious BBQ from Poor Piggy’s or a tasty treat from Firehouse Kettle Corn and Kona Ice. Or you can enjoy lunch at one of Kure Beach’s famed downtown restaurants, all of which will be offering specials in recognition of the 70th Anniversary.
But the fun doesn’t stop in the downtown area. Take a stroll two short blocks inland to Third Avenue North where you will find lots to see and do at the Kure Beach Community Center and the Kure Memorial Lutheran Church. Kids of all ages can delight in magic by
George the Magician and other children’s activities, plus historical displays at the church. The Community Center will be will be filled with more history and nostalgia. A line-up of speakers will bring history to life with Civil War facts, footage of past hurricanes and fascinating stories from a panel of long-time residents, all possessing a wealth of Kure Beach history to share. Displays will also be set up offering glimpses of artifacts, pictures and even bathing suits from bygone days. In harmony with the historical theme, classic cars will be on display in the Community Center parking lot.
Enter drawings to win custom-made cornhole boards and an assortment of gift baskets, try your hand at disk golf, patronize the Boy Scouts’ bake table or climb onto a firetruck. There will be so much to see and do that 5:00 may come too soon. Be sure to start early and plan to spend the day!
The 70th Anniversary Committee would like to thank the following sponsors whose generous support goes a long way in making this celebration happen: Allied Pest Control, Alpha Mortgage Corporation, Big Daddy’s, Carolina Beach Furniture, Carolina Beach Realty, Cathy Heglar, Charlie Graingers, Coldwell Banker Sea Coast Advantage, Duke Energy, Engineering Services PA, Enhanced Heating & Air, Home Depot Store #3609, Intracoastal Realty, Islander Kwik Mart, Network Real Estate, Palm Air Realty, Sea Coast Rentals, Sun Fun Rentals, Wells Construction, and Waste Management.
Salvation Army Women's Auxiliary Spring Fling
The Salvation Army Women's Auxiliary Spring Fling on April 22, 19 from 11:00am - 2:00pm.
There will be a Luncheon, Silent Auction, Craft Sale and entertainment by L Shape Lot Duo and "Big Al Hall" Bluegrass Band.
Tickets: $20.00 and can be purchased by contacting 910-343-0620. Proceeds go to benefit The Salvation Army's "Center of Hope"
YWCA Takes a Stand Against Racism April 30th
Wilmington, NC – YWCA Lower Cape Fear calls all individuals to join us in taking a Stand Against Racism between Monday, April 24, and Sunday, April 30. The theme this year being: Women of Color Leading Change. The national Stand Against Racism will unite our community in a bold demonstration that delivers a clear message: we are on a mission to eliminate racism.
“Women of color represent 19.5 perfect of the U.S. population, and 17.5 percent of the workforce, yet the wage gap, lack of employment opportunities, and unfair treatment still exists, so we must work to find solutions”, says Kelly Williams, YWCA Community Outreach Manager
From Monday through Sunday, an anticipated 750 events will take place across the country including public policy advocacy, community education, and public proclamations. Here in Wilmington, we will be collaborating with over 15 local organizations and businesses to host a week of events:
• Monday, April 24th: CFCC Film screening of Anne Braden:Southern Patriot at Union Station- 6:00-8:00p.
• Wednesday, April 26th:Youth Jam- hosted by the BRC at Dreams Garage- 6:00-8:00p.
• Thursday, April 27th: YWCA Potluck for Peace “Women Leading Through Generations” hosted by St. James Parish- 6:00-8:00p.
• Friday, April 28th: Stand Against Racism & Festival- hosted by the YWCA- 11am-2pm.
• Saturday, April 29th: Live music, film screening & discussion of 13th documentary- hosted by Cucalorus at Jengos Playhouse- 4:30pm-8:30pm
• Sunday, April 30th:Soul Sessions Open Mic, hosted by Support the Port 6:30-9:30- at Coastal Kicks
YWCA Lower cape fear is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women, stand up for social justice, help families, and strengthen our community. YWCA Lower Cape Fear is part of an international movement serving over 2 million in the United States and 25 million worldwide. For comprehensive information about this important work, go to: ywca-lowercapefear.org and standagainstracism.org
Free Tax Preparation & Electronic Filing
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and AARP Tax-Aide will soon begin preparing and electronically filing Federal and NC state income taxes for 2016. All services are free of charge. Trained and IRS certified volunteers will answer your questions, prepare your personal tax returns, and electronically file them. AARP Tax-Aide and VITA are free nationwide services that provide high quality income tax assistance and free federal and state tax preparation, including electronic filing. You do not have to be an AARP member or retired to take advantage of these free services. Volunteers are certified to prepare most common personal income taxes. They are not permitted to prepare returns for businesses with employees or losses, complicated investment reporting, and certain other complicated tax matters.
Taxpayers need to bring the following items: 1. Picture ID, address and local phone number. New this year: Both spouses must come to the tax center with photo ID, but they may come at different times. 2. Social Security cards and Date of Birth for self, spouse and all dependents. 3. Wage statements (W-2’s and 1099’s) from all employers for the year. 4. Retirement, Social Security, and/or Railroad Retirement statements. 5. Interest, dividend, and final brokerage statements. 6. Charitable contributions, medical expenses and real estate property taxes you paid in 2016.
(For those who itemize) 7. To have the Affordable Care Act portion of your return completed, you may need to have some specific documentation on 2016 health care coverage for you, your spouse and dependents. If you, your spouse and dependents were covered all of 2016 by Medicare, Medicaid, employer provided health insurance or health insurance you purchased from an insurance provider, you will not need any additional documentation.
If you, your spouse or any dependent purchased health insurance on the “Marketplace/Exchange” run by the state or federal government, then you will need additional documentation. At a minimum, you must have Form 1095-A issued by the “Marketplace/Exchange” showing the specific months you, your spouse and dependents were covered by health insurance. Your Form 1095-A should be in the mail to you by January 31. If you were not covered by health insurance for some or all of 2016 you may be required to make a “Shared Responsibility Payment” with your tax return. 8.
You are encouraged to bring your 2015 tax returns, which may be required to accurately complete your 2016 return. 9. A copy of your Power of Attorney if you are filing on behalf of another person. 10. Any other tax document related to 2016.
The times, dates, and locations of the services:
VITA Town of Carolina Beach, 300 Cape Fear Blvd., (Old Library) Carolina Beach, NC 28428 Tax preparation will begin Monday February 1 and run through April 18. Carolina Beach is the only VITA site in New Hanover County with Saturday hours. Monday – Thursday: 12 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Saturday: 8 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. VITA New Hanover County Senior Resource Center, 2222 S. College Road, Wilmington, NC 28403 Tax preparation will begin Monday February 1 and run through April 18. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 8:30 – 4:00; Tuesday and Thursday 10:30 – 6:00 No appointments. AARP Tax-Aide, New Hanover County Main Library, 201 Chestnut St, Wilmington NC. February 1 to April 18; 9:30 – 1:30; Monday through Friday. No appointments. AARP Tax-Aide, Pender County, Topsail Senior Center, 15909 US Hwy 17, Hampstead, NC. Monday & Wednesday from 1:00 to 5:00 PM beginning Monday, February 1 and continuing through April 18. No appointments
For additional AARP Tax-Aide sites in North and South Carolina call this toll free number 1-888-227-7669. A website is available for year round assistance at www.aarp.org/taxaide
Crawl for Paws May 20th
Save the date for the 4th Annual Crawl for Paws to be held Saturday, May 20th, 2017! Crawl for Paws is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that is dedicated to supporting various animal causes in the Cape Fear region. All proceeds raised stay here in the local community.
Start time, pub route and the new t-shirt are being finalized so check the Gazette for future updates! Crawl for Paws was begun in the Spring of 2014 to initially raise money to help fund the purchase of ballistic vests for the Carolina Beach police dogs.
The first Crawl was such a success, that we expanded our reach to help support other local animal causes. The 3rd Annual Crawl held in May 2016 raised over $10,000. Thanks to all who came Crawling with us and a special thanks to our 2016 Crawl for Paws sponsors!
Latest from Managing Editor
- Council Hears Update On Lake Park And Dow Road Speed Limits
- Spotlight On Coastal Cuisine: Kate's Pancake House
- Spotlight On Business: Christmas Shopping Made Easy at Go Sauce Yourself
- Legal Notices for November 15th, 2017
- Army Asking Public To Avoid Area Along Snow's Cut During Erosion Repair Project