Pleasure Island Chamber Calendar of Events for 2018
• February 17 - Missed Pleasure Island Pageant (910-599-2879)
• February 17 - 2018 Special Olympics Polar Plunge, 5K Run and 1 Mile Fun Walk In Kure Beach (910-341-7253)
• March 3 - 7th Annual Step Up For Soldiers Backyard BBQ (910-279-2782)
• March 17 - 14th Annual Steve Haydu St. Patrick’s Day Lo-Tide Run (910-547-3820)
• April 7 - 2nd Annual Public Safety Day (910-458-2540)
• April 14 - 1st Annual Beach, Bacon, & Beer at Carolina Beach Lake Park (910-458-8434)
• April 14 - Island of Lights Fashion Show (910-617-5945)
• April 28 - Kure Beach Street Festival (910-458-8216)
• May 5 - Carolina Beach Street Arts Festival (610-909-7643)
• May 6 – Oct 21 - Boogie in the Park Concert Series at Kure Beach Ocean Front Park 1st and 3rd Sundays (910-458-8216)
• May 11 - 20th Annual Cape Fear Disabled Sportsman Fishing Tournament (910-612-3407)
• May 19 6th - Annual Carolina Beach Jeep “Go Topless” Day (910-617-5710)
• May 19 - Beach Wrestling Nationals (910-395-4362)
• May 19 - 5th Annual Crawl for Paws (www.crawlforpaws.com)
• May 19 - 20 - 25th Annual Seaside Soccer Classic
• May 23 – Aug 29 - Wednesday Night Bingo at the Carolina Beach Boardwalk (910-458-8434)
• May 25 – Aug 31 - Weekly Fireworks on the Beach Every Thursday Night (910-458-8434)
• May 25 – Aug 31 - Weekly Boardwalk Music Every Thursday Night (910-458-8434) May 27 - Sept 2 Free Movies at the Carolina Beach Lake every Sunday (910-458-8434)
• June 2 – Sept 29 - Carolina Beach Farmer’s Market every Saturday (910-458-2977)
• June 2 - 33rd Annual Carolina Beach Music Festival (910-458-8434)
• June 8 – Aug 24 - FREE Summer Concerts At Fort Fisher 2nd and 4th Fridays (910-458-8434)
• June 11 – Aug 27 - Turtle Talk at Kure Beach Ocean Front Park every Monday (910-458-8216)
• June 12 – Aug 14 - Tuesday Family Night at the Carolina Beach Boardwalk (910-458-2977)
• June 12 – Aug 28 - Kure Beach Market every Tuesday (910-458-8216)
• June 13 – Aug 29 - Story Time by the Sea at Kure Beach Ocean Front Park every Wednesday (910-458-8216)
• June 14 – Aug 16 - Up and Active! at Kure Beach Ocean Front Park every Thursday (910-458-8216)
• June 23 - Carolina Beach Double Sprint Triathlon (www.setupevents.com)
• July 3 - Independence Day Fireworks (910-458-8434)
• July 13, 14, 15 - East Coast Got-Em-On King Mackerel Fishing Tournament (910-470-1374)
• July 21 - Swim CB 2018 (www.setupevents.com)
• Aug 12 Life Rolls On (910-431-0594)
• Aug 18 - Kure Beach Annual Community Center BBQ Fundraiser (910-458-8216)
• Sept 8 - 6th Annual Heart of Hope Run (910-228-5282)
• Sept 8 - 11th CBPD Bike Rodeo (910-338-7811)
• Sept 14 & 15 - 6th Annual Carolina Beach Dragon Boat Regatta and Festival (910-599-2879)
• Oct 13 & 14 - 25th Annual Pleasure Island Seafood Blues and Jazz Festival (910-458-8434)
• Oct 19, 20, 21 - 12th Annual Pleasure Island Fall Surf Fishing Challenge (910-452-6378)
• Oct 27 - Annual Carolina Beach Firefighters Association BBQ (910-458-8434)
• Nov 3 - Casino Night at the Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach (910-458-8434)
• Nov 17 & 24 - Kure Beach Holiday Market (910-458-8216)
• Nov 23 - Island of Lights Light Up Celebration at the Lake (910-458-5507)
• Nov 23, 24/Dec 1, 8, 15 - 10th Annual Christmas by the Sea (Carolina Beach Boardwalk) (910-458-2977)
• Nov 30 - Island of Lights Parade (910-458-2977)
• Dec 1 -Island of Lights Flotilla (910-386-8081)
• Dec 7, 8, 9 - Kure Beach Fantasy Christmas Show (910-458-8216)
• Dec 8 - Island of Lights Tour of Homes (910-458-5507)
• Dec 31 - Island of Lights New Year’s Eve Countdown & Fireworks Held In Kure Beach
For more information or updates visit the PICC website at www.PleasureIslandNC.org
Dune Re-Building in Carolina Beach January 20th
The Surfrider Foundation Cape Fear Chapter will coordinate with the Town of Carolina Beach to partake in a dune re-building program using recycled Christmas trees. This yearly project helps to rebuild natural habitat, protect ocean front property, and divert the old trees from the landfill.
“We don't need more trees, just more hands.” Look for the Surfrider tent on the beach at the Tennesse Avenue Beach Access. The event will be held Saturday, January 20th at 11:00am , organizers ask you bring a shovel, tape measure, pocket knife or scissors, and a hammer. Not required to bring tools as we plan to share with small team groups. The mission of the Surfrider Foundation Cape Fear Chapter is to provide “protection and enjoyment of oceans, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network.” For more information visit capefear.surfrider.org or follow them on Facebook!
Carolina and Kure Beach Christmas Tree Pick-Up
The Town of Carolina Beach will provide free Christmas tree removal during the month of January 2018. Collection will occur every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between January 3rd and January 31st. During this time, staff will drive through Town removing trees, and there is no need to call in for a pick-up. Before placing your tree at the curb, please remove all decorations and lighting.
During the first two weeks in January, Kure Beach Public Works will pickup your discarded Christmas tree FREE OF CHARGE. Please leave your tree on your property line for pickup during that time. If you place extra debris alongside of your tree for pickup, you will be charged the standard fee for removing the extra debris.
Parrotheads Gather January 27th
Pleasure Island Help Center Needs For 2018
The needs of the Help Center for January 2018 include: 14 January, Macroni and cheese. 21 January, Dry Pasta. 28 January, Pasta Sauce. Any other canned or packaged food items or toiletries are greatly appreciated.
For deliveries, the Help Center is NOT at the Rec Center. It has moved to the former Community Building at 3rd Street and Raleigh Street. Deliveries are best 10:00 AM to Noon, Monday thru Friday.
Missed Pleasure Island Pageant Set for February 17th
The Island Women and the Island Men are hosting the 2018 Missed Pleasure Island Pageant on Saturday Evening, February 17th, 2018 at the Carolina Beach Marriott Courtyard. 12 of the Hottest local Contestants will be competing to be crowned the 2018 Pageant Queen. You still have time to enter as a contestant in this popular local Pageant. Just like the Miss America Pageant each contestant must compete in the Swimwear, Talent and Evening Wear Segments of the Show. Contestants must be males over the age of 21. The Pageant will provide fashion consultants to each contestant as well as a hair stylist and makeup professional. We are also looking for some additional sponsors for this event as this is one of the primary fund raisers for the Island Women and Island Men charities we support. Plans are to begin tickets sales on January 17th @ Majik Beanz, GoodHops Brewing and the HopLite Pub as well as from the Island Women and Island Men. This event sells out fast each year so plan on getting tickets early. Saturday, February 17th, Doors Open at 6PM - Pageant Starts at 7:30PM!
Step Up for Soldiers Back Yard BBQ Cook-Off March 3rd
It getting close to that time of year again. The Step Up for Soldiers (SUFS) Annual Back Yard BBQ Cook-Off will be taking place on March 3rd at Carolina Beach Lake.
Gates open at 10am and tastings begin at 11am. Get you contestant applications in before Feb 1st and the entry fee is only $150, visit http://www.stepupforsoldiers.org/bbq for a copy. After the 1st, entry fee goes up to $175.
Last year was the biggest turnout and the most participants ever so let's make this year even bigger. Enjoy some of the areas finest BBQ, live entertainment with “Idlewild South” and wrapping up with the awards ceremony taking place at 1pm.
Step Up For Soldiers is a 501c3 Non-Profit Organization, their mission is to provide disabled veterans who experienced loss of limb and mobility problems with the resources necessary to adjust in a post-war environment. As a result of the events and fundraisers, sponsored by Step Up For Soldiers, we strive to not only enhance their lives and those of their families but also help to restore their confidence and positive self image. For more information visit www.stepupforsoldiers.org
2nd Annual Public Safety ay April 7th at Ft. Fisher
Carolina Beach & Kure Beach Police Departments are partnering together once again to host the 2nd Annual Public Safety Day! The all free community event is something for the whole family to enjoy. Join them Saturday, April 7th 10:00am - 2:00pm at the Ft Fisher Air Force Recreation Area in Kure Beach. Local police, fire and ems agencies will be on hand with displays. There will also be federal law enforcement agencies from New Hanover County, Military branches, demonstrations and hands on fun for kids of all ages.
2018 Town I.D. Cards
The 2018 Town Identification Cards (TICs) may be obtained by property owners, agents, and permanent residents/business owners in Carolina Beach beginning January 2, 2018. The purpose of these cards is to expedite re-entry to Carolina Beach once a mandatory evacuation order has been lifted. TICs are issued annually. Town Identification Cards will be issued as follows:
• Property owners with a Carolina Beach mailing addresswill be mailed cards automatically by the end of January 2018, and no application is necessary. EXCEPTION-properties listed as ownerships including words such as Trust, Heirs, Et al, Partners, LLC, Inc, Association, and the like will NOT be mailed; owners of these properties will need to complete and provide the appropriate forms and documentation.
• Property owners with a mailing address outside of Carolina Beach, renters/tenants, business owners, and agents will need to complete and provide the appropriate forms and documentation. Detailed information and blank forms can be found by visiting www.carolinabeach.org.
TICs are issued annually and costs are as follows:
• Free between January 2nd - February 15th
• $5.00 after February 15th, $15.00 after March 15th
• $5.00 first replacement, $10.00 second replacement
• Non-transferable, nonrefundable, not prorated
Heart of Hope Donation Station
Heart of Hope Holiday Outreach is currently Collecting Food For The Children of Carolina Beach. Please stop by the Pleasure Island Chamber of Commerce Office located at 1121 N. Lake Park Boulevard in Carolina Beach to donate any non-perishable food items.
Heart of Hope Run for Hunger is established to help combat the lack of food in the lives of children who live and attend school on Pleasure Island. Currently there are 442 children enrolled at Carolina Beach Elementary school, of which 117 are on free lunches, with an additional 15 that receive a daily reduced lunch. Additionally, there are 35 children whose backpacks are filled each and every Friday afternoon with weekend food. We are proud to announce that the annual Heart of Hope Run has been able to donate $20,000 in combating this hidden need.
Turtle Talk at Fort Fisher State Recreation Area January 21st
Join Fort Fisher State Park Recreation Area’s park staff for a presentation about sea turtles Sunday, January 21st at 1:00pm meeting in the exhibit room. “We will discuss what species we see here at Fort Fisher, basic biology, and what we do to help with conservation efforts. Please call 910-458-5798 to make reservations.”
Fort Fisher State Recreation Area offers a variety of learning opportunities for all ages. Typically led by park rangers, these interpretive programs allow the public to gain perspective into what makes North Carolina state parks naturally wonderful. Most of the events are free, though some require pre-registration. All give park visitors deeper insight into the natural world.
Call the park office for more information
Ft Fisher to Host Basin Hikes January 28th
Join the Fort Fisher State Recreation Area’s park staff as they lead a hike through the basin trail along maritime forest, back dune, and salt marsh habitat. Hikes will be led both Sunday, January 28th at 11:00am meeting in the exhibit room. The trail is approximately two miles and will pass the historic World War II bunker. “We will take many stops along the way to learn about all the plants and animals that call this area home! Don't forget to bring water, sunscreen, and bug spray. Call 910-458-5798 to make reservations.”
14th Annual Polar Plunge to Benefit SPECIAL OLYMPICS Kure Beach, Feb 17th
The Polar Plunge is taking place on Saturday, February 17, 2018 at the Pleasure Island’s Kure Beach Boardwalk, near the Kure Beach pier. Join us as we take a chilly plunge in the Atlantic Ocean to benefit Special Olympics. It is an opportunity for the adventurous and the not so adventurous to have a great time and to support the New Hanover County Special Olympics program. You can plunge as an individual or a member of a team. REMEMBER - NO WETSUITS! If you cannot bare the cold to plunge then join us for the annual 5K run or 1 mile fun walk. The race will be held in Kure Beach on a certified course and it is open to all ages and skill abilities. 5K runners are not required to plunge but are encouraged to heat up with the 5K and cool down with the Polar Plunge.
100% of the proceeds will benefit Special Olympics, New Hanover County, athletes providing them with year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. SCHEDULE: 11-3pm Live Music, silent auction; 12:30pm Costume Contest; 1:00pm 5K Run/1 Mile All Abilities Fun Walk and 3:05pm Plunge! For information about participating in the plunge visit www.plungenhc.com or call 341-7253.
Battle of Sugarloaf Dune Presentation & Hike Feb. 10th
Join UNCW history professor and local Civil War expert, Dr. Chris Fonvielle at the Carolina Beach State Park Visitor Center Saturday February 10th at 10:00am for a discussion of the days following the fall of Fort Fisher and the start of the Wilmington Campaign and the Feb. 11th Union assault on nearly 6,000 Confederate troops entrenched in earthworks across Pleasure Island, anchoring at Sugarloaf Dune. Following an informative lecture, Dr. Fonvielle will lead visitors on a 2 mi. hike along the Sugarloaf Trail to view remnants of the works and the 55' Sugarloaf Dune found today within Carolina Beach State Park. Comfortable walking shoes and a bottle of water are recommended.
Star Party at Carolina Beach State Park April 20th
You’re invited to look into the universe during the fourth annual North Carolina Statewide Star Party, a signature event of the North Carolina Science Festival. Come learn about the night sky at the Carolina Beach State Park Friday, April 20th from 7:00pm until 10:00pm. . Join the Cape Fear Museum and Carolina Beach State Park for a fun, free, family astronomy event. The Cape Fear Astronomy Society will have telescopes set up for viewing the night sky, and there will be vendors and many activities for everyone to participate in. Parking will be at the Marina area with shuttles provided. Bring a flashlight and some bug repellant. Event will happen rain or shine. For more information contact the park.
3rd Annual Marina Day May 12th
Join The Carolina Beach State Park Saturday, May 12th for their 3rd Annual Marina Day! There will be classic boats on display, safety demonstrations, vessel safety checks, boating information and the Underwater Archaeology will be on site with displays and information. There will also be kayaks and paddle boards and much, much, more. Food truck vendors will be on site for lots of food and refreshments. Bring the whole family out for the fun. Events will be ongoing from 10 am to 4 pm at the Carolina Beach State Park Marina. For more information, call the park office at 910-458-8206.