By WILLARD KILLOUGH III
CAROLINA BEACH - The Wilmington Parks and Recreation Department took a field trip to the Carolina Beach State Park on August 4th. Over 40 kids enrolled in the MLK Rec Center Summer Camp program visited the park to learn about casting and fishing including catching blue crabs. Staff from the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher and the NC Division of Marine Fisheries educated kids on proper casting techniques, different types of rigs, sustainable fishing practices, the types of bait to use and how to identify different fish. The Carolina Beach Fire Department and Lifeguards were on hand to teach kids how to deal with rip currents as well as a tour of the Department's new Fire and Rescue Boat. Captain Chuck Dunlap of Nauti Times Boat Rentals in Carolina Beach thanked the Ranger's at the State Park and all of the many volunteers for hosting the event. For more info on programs at the MLK Center call 910.341.7866
Latest from Managing Editor
- Town Continues Search For Property To Place Carolina Beach Lake Dredge Spoils
- Kure Beach To Hold Open House For Town Hall, Police And Fire Station Project
- Are There Blind Spots in Your Insurance Plan?
- Green is where the Heart Is for October 18th, 2017
- Carolina Beach Police Beat For October 3rd To October 8th, 2017