By WILLARD KILLOUGH III
CAROLINA BEACH - The Carolina Beach and Kure Beach Fire Departments responded to a house fire at 1214 Pinfish Lane Tuesday afternoon shortly before 4PM.
Carolina Beach Fire Chief Alan Griffin said the fire was likely caused by lightning striking the home during a strong storm system that passed over the area throughout the day.
Griffin said, "There are electrical boxes that appear to be blown off the outside wall of the house. When our guys entered the building the gas stove was on fire. The lightning probably ran in through a line to the stove."
Griffin said firefighters responded quickly and knocked down the flames. Crews worked quickly to setup ventilation fans to remove smoke from the home and began inspecting the structure for hot spots using an infrared camera that can see heat within walls. Griffin said the owner had left the home earlier that day so no one was in the structure at the time of the fire. The homeowner was contacted by a neighbor.