CAROLINA BEACH, NC, October 7, 2017 3:48 p.m.- The Carolina Beach Police Department, Carolina Beach Fire Department, Kure Beach Police Department and assisting citizens responded to the beach strand near the Dolphin Ln. beach access. Parties were responding to a water rescue. A reporting person phoned 911 and stated a child and her father were in distress and attempting to return to shore.
First responders arrived on the scene and witnesses advised multiple good Samaritans entered the water in attempt to assist the father and child. Two of the good Samaritans were unable to return to shore. First responders entered the water to assist those two males. With the help of fisherman on boats, responders were able to locate and retrieve both of the men. Life saving measures were unsuccessful on the two good Samaritans. Both of the men died at the scene. The child and her father were successfully removed from the water.
The two good Samaritans are identified as Don Boles 60 year old of Eagle Springs, N.C. and James Barbour 53 year old of Clayton, N.C.
The Medical Examiner’s Office will make the official determination for the cause of death. No foul play is suspected at this time. Family members of the deceased have been notified. The investigation is still on-going and no additional information is available.
Latest from Managing Editor
- What's Selling: Local Real Estate Figures for Dec. 4th to Dec. 10th, 2017
- Planning Commission To Review Federal Point Shopping Center Redevelopment Plan
- Council To Consider Ending Lake Dredging Contract At Dec. 12th Meeting
- Council To Consider Buying Dow Road Land For Water Treatment Plant
- What's Selling: Local Real Estate Figures for Nov. 27th to Dec. 3rd, 2017