Baseball Game Report: May 9th, 2017 - The Ashley Screaming Eagles ventured up I-40 on Tuesday to take on Cardinal Gibbons High School in the first round of the NC 4A Baseball State Playoffs. Junior lefty Price King was named the starting pitcher for Ashley, and was cruising through 4 innings. With 2 outs and the bases loaded in the bottom of the fifth, a pop fly was misplayed, allowing 2 runs to score for Gibbons. This led to a string of consecutive hits, scoring a total of six runs in the inning. That proved to be enough, as the Crusaders' pitcher stymied the Eagle bats for most of the game, as Ashley lost 6-1. Ashley's lone run scored in the sixth inning, as junior Joe Barbera drove in Michael Phillips.
The Eagles' season ended with a record of 15-10, a nice turnaround from 2016's 9-14 record. That was good for a 3rd place finish in the Mideastern conference. The coaching staff would like to thank our seniors, who have put in lots of time and effort in getting the program back on the winning track. Those seniors are Alex Brooks, Michael Phillips, Kason Valentine, John Webb, Luke Winslow, Vinny Farmintino, Kevin Mintz, and Callahan Klos. Thanks for bearing through another three months of my game updates!!
Latest from Managing Editor
- What's Selling: Local Real Estate Figures for Dec. 4th to Dec. 10th, 2017
- Planning Commission To Review Federal Point Shopping Center Redevelopment Plan
- Council To Consider Ending Lake Dredging Contract At Dec. 12th Meeting
- Council To Consider Buying Dow Road Land For Water Treatment Plant
- What's Selling: Local Real Estate Figures for Nov. 27th to Dec. 3rd, 2017