New York Red Bulls II defeated Wilmington Hammerheads FC at Legion Stadium

By / Local Sports / Wednesday, 17 June 2015 04:00

Wilmington, NC – New York Red Bulls II defeated Wilmington Hammerheads FC at Legion Stadium on Saturday night following a lone goal by Chris Tsonis.
Andrae Campbell started off strong for the Hammerheads in the first half with a low, wide shot just wide of the right post, convincing NYRBII goalkeeper Rafael Diaz to dive for the attempted save. Campbell followed quickly after with his closest opportunity of the night off a high volley that hit under the crossbar, bouncing back into play instead of over the goal line for the point. Midfielder Alex Clay countered Campbell’s play for Red Bulls II with a breakaway down the field attempting a one-on-one with Hammerheads goalkeeper Larry Jackson, but the shot soared wide of the left post leaving each side eager for more chances.
With the first half coming to an end, Hammerheads midfielder Paul Nicholson played a cross that surpassed the head of Red Bull II’s Colin Heffron, leaving space for Aaron Wheeler to approach with the shot, but the shot rolled parallel of the goal line and each side remained scoreless at the half.
Midfielder Christian Bassogog came on at the start of the second half and did not hesitate making opportunities to try and put Wilmington on the board. With a 60-yard run down the sideline past Red Bull II’s Dan Metzger, Bassogog pushed the ball up the field into NYRBII territory. Feeling the pressure of the impeding defense behind him, Bassogog had trouble keeping control in the penalty area and Diaz swooped in for the save. Bassogog returned following one NYRBII possession later with another run in the 52nd minute, this time hitting the side of the net after James Thomas forced him to take the shot. Red Bulls II notched the lone goal of the match in the 72nd minute after Chris Tsonis volleyed the ball into the net off a cross from Derrick Etienne, tallying his second personal goal of the regular season. Brian Saramago and Etienne looked for the insurance goal soon after following a sequence of passes, but had a hard time getting a foot on the ball for a complete shot. Red Bulls II was given the opportunity for a penalty kick in the 88th minute following a collision between Jackson and New York’s Daniel Bedoya. Jackson was ejected for the action forcing the Hammerheads to play one man down for the remainder of the match. Defender Troy Cole put on a goalkeeper jersey and stepped into goal for the Hammerheads to defend against Bedoya’s penalty kick and consequently for the rest of the game. Bedoya’s shot was not on target, rolling wide of the right post.
The Hammerheads still had a chance to play for a draw, but could not find the back of the net after multiple, fast-paced attempts.

Wilmington Hammerheads FC is scheduled to play their next match on Saturday, June 20 at 7:00 p.m. EDT against the Richmond Kickers at City Stadium. The Hammerheads return to Legion Stadium on Wednesday, July 1 at 7:00 p.m. EDT versus Saint Louis FC. For more information regarding Wilmington Hammerheads FC please contact (910) 777-2111 or visit .
Posted June 13, 2015 by Wilmington Hammerheads FC


Super User

Super User





Please publish modules in offcanvas position.