Wilmington Hammerheads and Richmond Kickers both scoreless after being cut short to weather

By / Local Sports / Wednesday, 24 June 2015 04:00

RICHMOND, Va. - The Richmond Kickers battled the Wilmington Hammerheads to a 0-0 draw on Saturday night at City Stadium, in a match cut short by violent thunderstorms and abandoned following the 45th minute.
Earning eight corner kicks inside the first half hour, the Hammerheads tested Kickers goalkeeper Travis Worra early and often, seeing their best chance parried away in the 24th minute.  Forward Chris Bassogog battled Alex Lee in the air on the left wing before drawing a foul 25 yards out.  Midfielder Corben Bone launched a curling right footed blast to the far upper 90 but Worra tipped it just over the crossbar. Weathering three subsequent corners and a dangerous throw in deep on the left side, the Kickers retaliated in the 28th minute when Lee intercepted the ball at the right touchline and slotted it through to Matthew Delicâte in the midfield. The Kickers forward played a short pass back to Fred Owusu Sekyere who served a long ball to George Davis IV on the left flank. Racing to the top of the box, he sliced a low driven shot to the near post but was stifled by Wilmington goalkeeper Keith Cardona.
The Kickers nearly broke the deadlock with five minutes remaining in the half when Delicâte knocked his defender off the ball and sprinted towards the box.
Heavily marked, he squared the ball for an onrushing Michael Callahan, who rounded the defense on the right side and fired a sliding shot that ricocheted off the goalkeeper and seemed destined for the wide open far corner, only to be denied by Hammerheads defender Fran Martinez, who cleared it off the line.
Seconds after the halftime whistle, the extreme heat and humidity that plagued City Stadium in the first half gave way to lighting, torrential rain and gale force winds, forcing league officials to call the game.


Super User

Super User





Please publish modules in offcanvas position.