Council To Consider Seeking Grant for Saint Joseph St; Lewis Drive Bike Lanes

Council To Consider Seeking Grant for Saint Joseph St; Lewis Drive Bike Lanes Featured

By / Local News / Wednesday, 04 November 2015 05:00

By WILLARD KILLOUGH III
Managing Editor

CAROLINA BEACH - The Carolina Beach Town Council will consider adopting a resolution at their November 10th, meeting to seek state grant funding to install bike lanes along Saint Joseph Street and Lewis Drive.
Project Manager Jerry Haire explained in a memo to the Council this week, "Funding is currently available through the Wilmington Metropolitan Planning Organization (WMPO) STP-DA Surface Transportation Program – Direct Appointment Funding grant program. To date the Town has received funding from this source for the Island Greenway, Cape Fear Blvd. Multi-use Path (MUP), and Harper Avenue MUP. This is an 80/20 matching program with the Town match being a minimum of 20% of total project costs."
Haire explained, "To be eligible projects must included or added to the 2035 Transportation Plan, soon to be replaced by the new 2040 Plan. The last remaining feasible project in the 2035 plan is dual 5 foot bike lanes along St. Joseph St. And Lewis Dr. From Lake Park Blvd. to the Access Dr. Intersection across from Food Lion. This project would provide a much safer biking alternative to Lake Park Blvd. It would also provide connection from Lake Park to Spencer Farlow Dr. and the Snow’s Cut Greenway, both of which allow bicyclists to cross under Snow’s Cut Bridge without crossing Lake Park Blvd."
He explained, "Bike route signs would be proposed from Lewis Dr. and Access Dr. to the Snow’s Cut Greenway as part of the project. The project could be coordinated with intersection improvements being discussed for the Lake Park and Saint Joseph Street intersection."
Applications for the grant funding are due November 20th. A required resolution of support and matching funding is required to file an application.
The Town Council reviewed the project at their October 27th, workshop meeting with favorable comments.
The length of the project will be 6,900 linear feet with 5 foot dual bike lanes.
The estimated cost of surveying, grading, clearing, stone, asphalt, curb and gutter as well as striping the road is $423,366. Signs and sharrows, designs costs and inspection by the North Carolina Department of Transportation brings the total estimated project cost to $526,318. The 80% grant would cover $421,054 with the Town paying the other 20% at $105,264.
The 1.3 miles of dual bike lanes would connect to bike and walking paths including the Snow's Cut bike path that runs along the waterway connecting the Wildlife Boat Ramp on Spencer Farlow Drive to another path that runs along Old Dow Road to the Carolina Beach State Park and Harper Avenue.

Author

Super User

Super User

 



Please publish modules in offcanvas position.