Beach Nourishment Project On Pleasure Island To Begin This Month

Beach Nourishment Project On Pleasure Island To Begin This Month Featured

By / Local News / Wednesday, 18 November 2015 05:00

By WILLARD KILLOUGH III
Managing Editor

CAROLINA BEACH - Carolina Beach and Kure Beach will get an infusion of sand starting later this month.
Bob Keistler - Project Manager with the Wilmington District US Army Corps of Engineers - explained Tuesday that a contract was awarded to Marinex Construction Company, Inc. of North Charleston, SC earlier this year.
He explained, "The contract was awarded at a price of $11,314,600.00" and the cost is shared with the Federal Government paying 65% and the State of North Carolina and local governments splitting the remaining 35%.
He explained, "The Corps partners with the Towns of Carolina Beach and Kure Beach, New Hanover County, and the State of North Carolina on this project."
Keistler explained, "In this contract, material (sand) will be placed on both Carolina Beach and Kure Beach to provide storm protection. This material will be placed according to project template as authorized by Congress.  Per the awarded contract, we are estimating that a total of 592,000 cubic yards will be placed on Kure Beach (two different locations) and a total of 770,000 cubic yards will be placed on Carolina Beach."
In an effort to save money by sharing mobilization costs, the Carolina Beach and Kure Beach Storm Damage Reduction projects were bundled together when soliciting bids on both projects.
Keistler explained, "Marinex Construction is starting mobilization to the project site over the next week.  You should see equipment starting to arrive on site in about a week. The Dredge Savannah should arrive and start dredging no later than mid-December. The order of work is still to start work on the Kure Beach portion of the contract, followed by the work at Carolina Beach.  The borrow (sand) source for Kure Beach is off shore, and the borrow source for Carolina Beach is from Carolina Beach Inlet."
All work for the project must be completed within the environmental window scheduled for November 16th to April 30th. That time frame is set to avoid interfering with Federally protected endangered sea turtles that begin nesting in the Spring.
Keistler explained, "Marinex is required to have all dredging completed and all equipment of the beaches on or before April 30th. At this time, we do not see any issues with the contractor meeting this window."
He said the contractor is currently collecting beach profile data to see if any adjustments are required to beach placement areas."
Work on the Kure Beach portion of the project will take place first and begin in the area of Ocean Blvd in Carolina Beach and proceed south to an area north of the Kure Beach Fishing Pier. Then work will begin on another section in southern Kure Beach in the area of Fort Fisher and the Air Force Recreation Area south to just before the coquina  rocks.
Sand will be dredged from a site off shore using a hopper dredge and brought close to shore to be pumped onto the beach.
Once that work is complete crews will begin work in Carolina Beach at the Carolina Beach Fishing Pier and proceed south to the area of Hamlet Avenue.
Sand will be dredged from an area in the Carolina Beach Inlet and pumped through large pipes the length of the project area.

Author

Super User

Super User

 



Please publish modules in offcanvas position.