- Published on Wednesday, 06 March 2013 19:38
- Written by Super User
6-8 Age Division: CBPD 17 Island Gazette 8, Gulfstream 24 PI Exercise Club 13, Costco 8 HP Homes 26; 9-11 Age Division: Superior Medical 22 Sub Surface Support 19, Island Tackle & Hardware 26 Michael’s Seafood 35, Kure Beach Pier 36 Wilkinson & Associates ERA Realty 4; 12-14 Age Division: Mid-Atlantic Drilling 25 Harbor Master’s 42, Nikki’s Gourmet & Sushi Bar 44 Hamm’s Hearing Aid Center 47;
15-17 Age Division: Blackburn Brothers L CBPD W, Atlantic Coast Carpet Cleaning 46 Allied Pest Control 39;
12-14 Age Division
• 6:30 – Mid-Atlantic Drilling vs. Harbor Masters – Harbor Master’s couldn’t miss in the 1st quarter of this game as their offense connected on 17-points helping them take a 9-point lead. In the 2nd quarter Harbor Master’s was able to continue to pull away taking a 13-point lead at halftime. After halftime both teams offenses slowed down with Mid-Atlantic cutting the lead down to 10-points 29-19. In the final quarter Harbor Master’s Bradley Plyler and Jacob Graves combined for 13-points to help put this game away. Harbor Master’s won this game by a final score of 42-24. HIGHLIGHTS: Harbor Masters: #13 Bradley Plyler 16, #10 John Graves 12, #12 Ryan Bailey 5, #14 Jacob Merten 3, and #4 Brandon Plyler, #3 Matthew Hegler, and #5 Lucas Golonka each had 2-points. Mid-Atlantic Drilling: #13 Brice Eller 7, #2 Jantzen Hartsell and #5 Joshua Stewart 5 each, #10 Rocco Farmintino 4, and #12 Vincent Farmintino and #14 Jacob Merten 2-points each.
15-17 Age Division
• 7:30 – Blackburn Brothers vs. CBPD – CBPD won this game by forfeit.
• 8:30 – Atlantic Coast Carpet Cleaning vs. Allied Pest Control – This was a close game with both teams tied up at 6-6 after the 1st quarter. However in the 2nd quarter Allied Pest Control was able to pull away taking a 6-point lead by halftime 20-14 after outscoring Atlantic Coast 14-8. After halftime Atlantic Coast’s offense was able to put them right back in the game getting to within a point of Allied 29-28 after outscoring them 14-9. In the final quarter Atlantic Coast was able to come up big offensively scoring 16-points while their defense held Allied to 10-points to take the win 46-39. HIGHLIGHTS: Atlantic Coast Carpet Cleaning: #2 David Hicks 23, #13 Joel Ywaskevic 10, #5 Randy Richards 5, #12 Ryan Brinson, #5 Drew Brinson, and #4 Ryan Hardison 2 each, and #3 Sean Anderson and #10 Jeremy Brekke 1 each. Allied Pest Control: #3 Dylan Owen 14, #11 Michael Hayes and #4 Daniel Farriss 7 each, #2 Erik Jedrey 6, #5 Jordan Powell and #14 Joshua Johnson 2 each, and # 12 Bronson Hope 1.
6-8 Age Division
• 9:00 – CBPD vs. Island Gazette – The Island Gazette got of to a great start in the 1st quarter of this game taking a 8-0 lead. However after that it was all the CBPD as they got to with 2-points by halftime 8-6. After halftime the CBPD continued to hold the Island Gazette scoreless, while their offense took the lead in the 3rd quarter 11-8 and a 6-0 run throughout the 4th quarter put the game away for the CBPD. HIGHLIGHTS: CBPD: #5 Jayce Atanasoff 7, #11 Talan Groseclare 4, #10 Quinton Dye 3, #12 Chandler Blake 2, and #2 Chad Fleshman 1. Island Gazette: #11 TJ Parker 4 and #4 Matthew Silver and #14 Ashton Little 2 each.
• 10:00 – Gulfstream vs. Pleasure Island Exercise Club – Gulfstream’s defense only allowed 2-points in the 1st half of this game while this offense gave them a 18-point lead after picking up 8-points in the 1st quarter and 12 in the 2nd. After halftime PI Exercise Club was able to catch up outscoring Gulfstream 6-2 in the 3rd quarter and 5-2 in the 4th quareter, but it wasn’t enough. The 24-13 win gave Gulfstream 2nd Place in the Regular Season. HIGHLIGHTS: Gulfstream: #4 Neil Sims 14, #11 Farrington Newton 7, #3 Nicholas Lamendola 2, and #14 Kaylee Smith 1. Pleasure Island Exercise Club: #12 Carter Grace 9 and #14 Khalil Kelly and #13 Ryan McCann 2 each.
• 11:00 – Costco vs.HP Homes – HP Homes was able to pull ahead to a comfortable 10-2 lead after the 1st quarter of this game. HP Homes continued to pull away in the 2nd quarter closing out the half with a 8-2 run. After halftime Costco was able to go ahead by 5 more after holding Costco scoreless in the 3rd quarter. In the final quarter HP Homes outscored Costco 3-2 to take the win 26-8. HIGHLIGHTS: HP Homes: #12 Kenan Everhart 17, #10 Leo Biggs 6, and #4 Christopher Schwenker 3. Costco: #3 Christian Merten 8.
9-11 Age Division
• 1:00 – Superior Medical vs. Sub Surface Support – Sub Surfcae Support jumped out to a good start in the 1st quarter of this game taking a 8-2 lead. However in the 2nd quarter Superior Medical answered back with a 6-0 run to tie up the game at 8-8 by halftime. After halftime Sub Surface Support was able to regain the lead 15-12 after outscoring Superior Medical 7-4. In the final quarter Superior’s Jake Ettefagh led his team with 10-points to take the win 22-19. HIGHLIGHTS: Superior Medical: #12 Jake Ettefagh 16, #2 Nathan Hardison 4, #1 Nicholas Ruscetti 2. Surface Support: #1 Coleman Lamendola 8, #10 Mason Brooks 4, #2 Kyle Schoonmaker 3, and #3 Jake Stewart and #14 Daniel Stokes 2 each.
• 2:00 – Island Tackle & Hardware vs. Michael’s Seafood – Both teams came out shooting in this game with Michael’s Seafood taking a 4-point lead after the 1st 6:00 quarter. In the 2nd quarter Michael’s tightened up their defense, holding Island Tackle to 3-points while their offense brought their lead up to 19-11 by halftime. After halftime the 8-point lead held up after both teams picked up 10-points each in the quarter. In the final quarter both teams tightened up their defense with Michael’s holding on to take the win 35-26. HIGHLIGHTS: Island Tackle & Hardware: #2 Jack Garcia 7, #1 Taj Monroe 6, #12 Mason Massey 5, and #5 Ben Stout & #4 Dominic Farmintino 4 each. Michael’s Seafood: #12 Austin Johnson 8, #13 Dylan McGowan 7, #2 Jas Herring 6, #1 Fisher Waggett 5, #5 Joseph Barker 4, #3 Trey Johnson 3 & #15 Alysaa Fizer 2.
• 3:00 – Kure Beach Pier vs. Wilkinson & Associates ERA Realty – Kure Beach Pier opened up this game with a 10-0 run throughout the 1st quarter and pulled away from their outscoring Wilkinson in every quarter: 8-1 in the 2nd, 10-2 in the 3rd and 8-1 in the 4th. Kure Beach Pier won by a final score of 36-4. HIGHLIGHTS: Kure Beach Pier: #3 Aidan Lafferty 17, #2 Robbie Helmus 7, #10 Ethan Graves 6, #5 Harry Smith Martin 4, and #11 Maddox Green 2. Wilkinson & Associates ERA Realty: #11 Owen Davies 2 and #12 Jacob Chalmers and #13 Mason White 1 each.
12-14 Age Division
• 4:00 – Nikki’s Gourmet & Sushi Bar vs. Hamm Hearing Air Center – This was a close game from start to finish with Hamm taking a 1-point lead after the 1st quarter 7-6. Both teams continued to stay close in the 2nd quarter and after both teams picked up 11-points Hamm’s 1-point lead held up by halftime. After halftime Hamm was able to pull ahead by another point after outscoring Nikki’s again 12-11. In the final quarter Hamm was able to start to pull away, but Nikki’s hit some big 3-pointer’s to get right back in the game. But down the stretch Hamm’s free throws put them over the edge giving them the win 47-44. HIGHLIGHTS: Hamm’s Hearing Aid Center: #3 Nash Best 21, #5 Joshua Smiley 10, #1 Elijah Akins 7, #11 Kyle Carpenter 4, #14 Hawthorne Hamm 3, and #12 Larry Davis 2. Nikki’s Gourmet & Sushi Bar: #13 Nick Winslow 17, #5 Luke Winslow 12, #14 Eason Saffo 11, & #3 Kevin Mintz Jr 4.
Editor’s Note: The Island Gazette Costco game summary last week was wrote on emotion, as I am the Coach. Costco played a great game and couldn’t miss shots. While the Island Gazette lost the 2-points from the beginning this was a mistake, but should not reflect the great work put into by the Carolina Beach Recreation Center and Tim Murphy who heads up the league. Tim has done a outstanding Job running this league and tries to hear to everyone concern’s. Please make sure that if you have a complaint about the paper it comes to the Island Gazette, if it’s about the league that goes to the Rec. Center. But lets remember that most of the time the Island Gazette and the Rec Center only hear complaints and never compliments. So maybe try and say what you like about the league or coverage before complaining as we both put in a lot of hard work for youth Basketball on the Island.
Pleasure Island Rec. Center’s Youth Basketball
6:30PM - #1 Hamm Hearing Aid vs. #4 Mid-Atlantic Drilling
7:30PM - #1 Atlantic Coast Carpet vs. #4 Blackburn Brothers
8:30 - #2 Allied Pest Control vs. #3 C.B.P.D.
9:00AM - #4 Island Gazette vs. #5 P.I. Exercise
10:00AM - #3 C.B.P.D. vs. #6 Costco
12:00PM - #4 Island Tackle vs. #5 Sub Surface Support
1:00PM - #3 Superior Medical vs. #6 Wilkinson & Associates
6:30PM - #1 HP Homes vs. Winner of #4 vs. #5
7:30PM - #1 Kure Beach Pier vs. Winner of #4 vs. #5
6:30PM - #2 Gulfstream vs. Winner of #3 vs. #6
7:30PM - #2 Michael’s Seafood vs. Winner of #3 vs. #6